Recently has a casual chat with a friend. While we talking about the online marketing, he was thinking about online spam.
While I talking about PR major, all he can think about is high heels and long legs.
I showed my disappointing and decide to write something for my major and online marketing.
Online marketing is nothing but a marketing way, a more effective one than ad. We are potentially be a part of online marketing or groundswell in our daily online activities.
For example, how CSSA promote their activity, how they run public page and manage QQ chatting group, these online activities are all considered as groundswell strategies.
Internet is place gathering public opinions. It is well-known that in which place people share ideas and opinions. Here, I will simply introduce the groundswell technologies. Introduced by the authors of Groundswell, “Groundswell technologies” includes such as blogs, wikis, bookmarking and tagging sites, social networks, forums, ratings, reviews, RSS feeds, and widgets.
Social Technographic Profile
Charlene Li和Josh Bernoff 将网络用户的分类法则介绍给我们，通过甄别你的目标市场里不同的用户特性，以此来帮助任何组织选择正确的营销团体和方式。
用户分类包括Creators, Critics, Collectors, Joiners, Spectators, Inactives, 以及近年出现的conversationlists.
- Critics 对他人的在线内容进行回应，譬如回帖，使用评分系统，或者编辑维基词条。
- Collectors 使用收藏夹和书签，在线订阅收集和整合信息，从侧面讲，是对Creators和Critics的肯定。
- Joiners 使用社交网站维持一个基本的存在状态。
- Spectators 是只读不写的在线受众，就是我们常说的潜水。潜水者是一个巨大的人群，在米国的在线受众中占据了将近二分之一的比重。
- Inactives 不被网络营销所影响的人群
- Conversationlists 在线进行信息交流的用户，譬如QQ群。
Charlene Li and Josh Bernoff introduce an interesting data tool called the “Social Technographic Profile”. By showing how you can use this metric to understand what percentage of online audience in your market, it will be hopefully helpful for organization to choose the right group and right method to conduct groundswell.
The social technograohic profile includes Creators, Critics, Collectors, Joiners, Spectators, Inactives, and of course the newly added, conversationlists.
- Creators dedicate on producing new online content, they post new articles on blog, maintain an independent website, or upload video and podcast.
- Critics react to others online content, like post a comments, use the grading and reviewing system, or editing wiki.
- Collectors use bookmarking and RSS feeder to collect and integrate information. To some point, they complete the works of creators and critics.
- Joiners use social network website and maintain basic profiles.
- Spectators, all they do is merely reading. They do not react or create to the online content. The specific number of percentage of spectators among US online audience is 48%, almost half audience remains a spectators statue.
- Inactives, they are non-participating for online conversations.
- Conversationlists, people share idea and information with online chatting. Like QQ group.
The real value for the organization to use this classification is to help you locating your audience’s characters in your target market, find out what they are using now, and therefore will help make decision on what kind of online promoting tools to conduct groundswell and public opinions monitoring. Besides, how to active inactives and spectators is another topic we could go deeper.
Establish your objective of groundswell
Online marketing needs walk your talk, you need to establish your goal first to help you achieve it.
There are 5 goals mentioned by the book Groundswell.
- Listening: First you need to know where is your targeted audience group, what kind of tools and websites they are using, what’s they opinion. By integrating public opinion, understand what they need and focus for now, and find wealthy ideas that can help you improve your products and enhance your services.
- Talking: By using the groundswell technologies, we could have the chance to join the conversation. The direct communication with audience will have direct impact on organization’s image.
- Energizing: If you already build a loyal audience base, then find a way to enable and encourage your audience to express online. Comparing with ad, people tend to accept suggestions from friends. Word of mouth recommendations and advice from your audiences can go a lot further than anything you do on your own.
- Supporting: Adhesiveness is building audience group. People naturally have the tendency to gather together when they have something in common. What we need to do it to maintain and improve this group.
- Embracing: When one day, your audience is helping you with products, you are achieving the final goal of groundswell. It is not like you need reorganization from your audience, but what you did is to meet the demand from your audience. This is probably the hardest goal among total five. Find ways to use the groundswell to involve your customers in your decision-making processes, and implement their best ideas as quickly as you can.
One thing needs to pay attention is comparing to going forward one by one, the above five goals are more likely parallel. The achievement your online strategy accomplished for now does not necessarily mean your accomplishment to one or two goals.
More Information could be found on the author’s blog.